Mississippi University for Women Athletics Philosophy Statement
The Department of Athletics conducts a broad-based Division III sports program for men and women that is an integral part of the University’s mission and adheres to the framework established by the NCAA. The overall development of each student-athlete is of paramount importance. The department will provide the necessary vision and leadership for student-athletes to participate at the highest level of their ability while pursuing a quality education. Participation on an intercollegiate team will provide student-athletes with the opportunity to learn and develop values which foster self-discipline, teamwork, leadership skills and fair play in an equitable and diverse environment. The goal is to attain and maintain competitive excellence in all sports programs, including participation in NCAA individual and team championship events, whenever possible.
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is committed to:
- Providing all student-athletes with the highest quality academic, athletic and social experience;
- Hiring and developing the best coaches and support staff to produce successful programs;
- Developing the leadership potential of student-athletes and staff;
- Providing a safe environment for the student-athletes;
- Conducting programs and business with integrity and the highest ethical standards.
The mission of the Department of Athletics at the Mississippi University for Women is to develop student-athletes who desire to excel in the four core principles of Athletics, Academics, Community, and Life.