COLUMBUS, Miss. – The Owls volleyball program and head coach Roxanne Hernandez announce the addition of four student-athletes to the 2018 volleyball roster. Melaina Migues, Hannah O'Barr, Courtney Poole, and Shelby Jones will join the Owls this fall.
The incoming class includes one setter, one outside hitter, one defensive specialist, and one middle blocker of which two are freshmen and two are junior transfers. The four additions are natives of Mississippi and Alabama.
"I believe our offense will continue to grow with the addition of Melaina as setter and Hannah and Shelby as utility hitters," said head coach Roxanne Hernandez. "We will also add some more depth to our defense by adding libero/defensive specialist Courtney. With one week of preseason to play with lineup options before our exhibition, I am excited to see what this incoming class can contribute to our program."
Meet the New Owls:
Ocean Springs, MS | Ocean Springs High School | East Mississippi Community College | 5-6 | Setter
- Played volleyball at East Mississippi Community College
- Volleyball captain at Ocean Springs High School
- Member of the 2016 District Championship Team
- 4.0 high school GPA and honor roll recognition
Huntsville, AL | Buckhorn High School | 5-6 | Outside Hitter/Right Side
- Played varsity basketball in high school
- Received Academic Excellence Award
- Delta Sigma Theta Honor Student
- Member of the Melissa Berry Senior Modeling Squad and the Historical Society
Ohatchee, AL | Southern Union State Community College | Ohatchee High School | 5-4 | Libero/Defensive Specialist
- Played volleyball for SUSCC
- Made the 2018 All-State Tournament Team
- Received the Fant Award and the Out-of-State Award
- In high school was a member of the cheerleading squad and the volleyball, basketball, and track teams
- Named to the All-Area team
- 2014-16 All-Calhoun County Tournament Team
- Named Best All-Around Player and Received the 2016 Ace Award
- Graduated top 20 in her class with a 3.6 GPA
- Voted Best All-Around Student by the faculty
Lucedale, MS | George County High School | 6-1 | Middle Blocker/Right Side
- Played volleyball and basketball in high school
- Ranked #1 in district in blocking
- Received All-A Honor Roll and graduated top 20
- Received Volleyball Academic Award in 2016 and 2017
The W returns all six starters and ten of the 12 letterwinners (players who played in more than half of the matches) from the 2017 season. Owls standout Loren Schmitt will return to the lineup. Last season, the sophomore defensive specialist led the Owls with 140.5 points, 401 total attacks, 42 service aces, and 165 digs.
"I am looking forward to building on our experiences from last year," continue Hernandez. "While the team is still young, our expectations will continue to be set high and leadership is something that is going to be very important on this team. I think with complete commitment to the process and persistence in striving to get a little bit better each day, we will see much more success this season."
The Owls will officially kick-off the 2018 season at the Belhaven Volleyball Tournament in Jackson, Miss. on Friday, August 31.